Campbell Announces New Sustainable Packaging Goals
Company plans to increase recyclability, recycled content and consumer education and infrastructure
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200506005614/en/
(Graphic: Campbell Soup Company)
The holistic approach aims to reduce packaging waste through investments in recyclability, use of recycled content, and consumer education and infrastructure with the following four goals:
- Transition 100% of packaging to recyclable or industrially compostable designs and materials by 2030.
- Increase the use of post-consumer recycled content and incorporate 25% post-consumer recycled content into polyethylene terephthalate (PET) bottles by 2030.
- Drive increases in recycling rates through standardized on-pack labeling by including the How2Recycle label on 100% of packaging by 2022.
- Expand access to recycling and advance the development of infrastructure to improve the collection and recycling of packaging by building and investing in partnerships with peers and industry groups.
“Our new packaging commitments provide a roadmap to further reduce the environmental impact of our packaging over time and build upon our history of sustainability,” said
Campbell has made significant progress recently in reducing waste and encouraging recycling:
- In 2019, V8 V-Fusion and V8 Blends multi-serve bottles switched from shrink sleeve labels to wrap labels, allowing the bottles to be easily sorted and recycled in municipal recycling processes.
- In 2019, Kettle Brand redesigned their chip bags, resulting in a 43% reduction in plastic and reducing the amount of plastic to landfill by two million pounds per year.
- Campbell has already implemented How2Recycle instructions on many labels and will continue to roll out on additional packaging until 100% of packaging includes recycling instructions by 2022.
Campbell has long been a leader in the use of recyclable materials. Steel cans are the most recycled food packaging in
Campbell (NYSE:CPB) is driven and inspired by our purpose, "Real food that matters for life's moments." For generations, people have trusted Campbell to provide authentic, flavorful and affordable snacks, soups and simple meals, and beverages. Founded in 1869, Campbell has a heritage of giving back and acting as a good steward of the planet's natural resources. The company is a member of the Standard and Poor's 500 and the FTSE4Good Index. For more information, visit www.campbellsoupcompany.com or follow company news on Twitter via @CampbellSoupCo.